The following Rules & Regulations govern the use of Lambton Kent District School Board (LKDSB) and St. Clair Catholic District School Board (SCCDSB) facilities. Failure to comply may result in immediate permit cancellation without reimbursement and at no cost or liability to the boards. Chatham-Kent Lambton Administrative School Services (CLASS) reserves the right to refuse approval or to cancel any permits issued for the use of a school building or its facilities when it is deemed that such action is necessary for the best interests of the school and/or the board.
Code of Conduct
All persons, while on Board property, must adhere to the Board’s Code of Conduct Procedures which outline acceptable standards of behaviour, and maintain a safe, positive environment free from violence. LKDSB SCCDSB
Board facilities/equipment are maintained in accordance with current operational standards. To preview a facility (or available equipment), a site visit can be arranged through the Rental Office. The Board’s provide no stated or implied warranty as to the suitability or condition of their facilities or equipment for the rental group’s purposes. The Applicant accepts the facilities and equipment on an “as is” basis at the Applicant’s own risk.
Assignment of subletting of the permitted premises to a third party is prohibited, permits are non-transferable and must be used by the organization they are issued to.
The Rental Office reserves the right to cancel a permit or date(s) within a permit if the school requires use of the space for a school/board program. CLASS, the LKDSB and the SCCDSB assume no responsibility for expenses, distress, disappointment, frustration and/or inconvenience resulting from cancellations or alterations to permits. If a permit holder needs to cancel a date they are asked to send a note through the ‘Discussion Area’ of the applicable permit or call and speak with someone at the Rental Office regarding the cancellation at least three days in advance or No-Show charges may apply.
All permit processing fees are non-refundable. Permit holders who wish to change or cancel a permit must do so at least 3 business days prior to the permitted date in order to receive a full refund. Groups who wish to cancel permits will less than 3 business days’ notice will be required to pay 100% of the total permit cost.
Permit holders must agree to assume full responsibility for the acts an conduct of all persons admitted for the permitted rental and to release, idemnify and save harmless CLASS, the schools, the boards and their staff or agents from any and all liability to any persons or property which may arise as a result of the rental. School board insurance does NOT protect permit holders, users, or user groups.
Liability & Insurance
Applicants must provide a Certificate of Comprehensive Liability Insurance in the amount of $2 million per occurrence (with no aggregate), naming the Lambton Kent District School Board AND the St. Clair Catholic District School Board as additional insured. The insurance shall cover the Boards from and against all risks that may arise out of rental. If a Certificate of Comprehensive Liability Insurance is not provided, appropriate coverage is available through a third-party provider at the Permit Holder’s expense.
Damages arising out of the use of school facilities must be reported immediately to the custodian and to the Rental Office the next school day. Financial responsibility for damages to Board property are borne by the permit holder. Rental groups shall not hold CLASS, the Boards, their staff or agents responsible for damage to, destruction of, or loss of property belonging to any member of the rental group.
Advertising distributed by the rental group shall not be presented in such a way that the Boards are seen to endorse the rental group or specific activities of the rental. No advertising regarding a rental shall be displayed on Board property unless otherwise approved by the Board. The school’s name can only appear on advertisements as a location site. Board staff will not respond to public inquiries regarding activities/events for which permitted use of space has been granted.
- Rental groups must have adequate on-site adult supervision (minimum 21 years of age) for the duration of the rental, one of which being the ‘Event Supervisor’ listed on the permit.
- Groups renting multiple spaces require adult supervision for each space.
- Event Supervisors are responsible for the conduct and supervision of all persons admitted for the rental and must ensure that all regulations are enforced.
- For safety reasons Event Supervisors must have a cell phone with them during the rental and the number listed on the permit.
- Event Supervisors must ensure that participants remain within the rented areas and that the start/finish times indicated on the permit are adhered to.
Access to School Facilities
- Event Supervisors must have a printed copy of the approved rental permit with them and must be the first members of the group to enter the school and last to leave.
- The start time on the permit indicates when Event Supervisors may enter the school.
- The finish time on the permit indicates when the school must be vacated.
- DOORS MUST REMAIN LOCKED. The school door will be unlocked at the start time indicated on the permit and locked after Event Supervisors have entered the school. Event Supervisors are responsible for providing access for late arrivals. Board staff are not responsible for participant access beyond the Event Supervisors.
- DOORS MUST NOT BE PROPPED OPEN and at no time shall latches be tampered with or obstructed.
- Rental groups should not let anyone into the school who’s not a member of their program. If rental groups believe a person is on the premises without permission or is carrying on a prohibited activity and the offending person refuses to leave the premises as directed, the Event Supervisor should notify the custodian and determine if they should contact the police.
- Parking is permitted in designated parking areas only; please do not block fire ways or driveways.
Facilities and Equipment
- Other than basketball nets and volleyball standards, the use of school equipment is at the discretion of the school Principal and must be arranged in advance of the permit start date.
- If equipment is lost or damaged the permit holder is responsible for all costs resulting from replacement and/or repairs.
- Help us care for our gyms; please ensure non-marking rubber soled shoes are worn for all sports activities and food/flavoured beverages are not brought into our gyms.
- Gym rentals are not permitted for the following activities; baseball, golf, rugby, football, tennis, roller skating, roller derby, cricket, dodge ball, floor hockey, lacrosse and any other activities requiring the use of sticks/bats. Indoor balls must be used for all sport rental activities.
- The use of showers is NOT permitted.
- Changes or alterations shall not be made to any facilities unless expressly permitted. The application of tape, staples, pins, wax, powder or any other preparations to floors, walls or ceilings is prohibited. Rental groups are not permitted to adjust mechanical equipment such as thermostats, folding partition doors, bleachers etc.
- When classrooms are used chalkboards, equipment and teacher aids must not be disturbed and the rooms must be left in their original state of order.
- Additional Rules & Regulations apply to auditorium rentals.
The permit holder acknowledges that the permitted premises and the buildings in which same are located may contain asbestos and/or asbestos-containing materials and the permit holder accepts the permitted premises subject to this caveat. Information with respect to locations of the substance is available from the school Principal.
If food is prepared, consumed or sold the permit holder must obtain Rental Office approval and comply with Ministry of Health and Fire Safety Regulations. Rental groups may NOT bring cooking equipment into schools. Rental groups cannot use the cafeteria for food preparations, nor use the supplies or equipment that are owned by the cafeteria company at the facility. Rental groups serving food and/or beverages must rent the cafeteria.
Health & Safety
Animals, apart from from service animals, are not permitted on board property. Nuts, nut products, shellfish and latex (e.g. balloons) are common allergens and may pose significant health risks to students and community members and are therefore not permitted on Board property.
- School facilities shall not be used in any manner contrary to the Ministry of Education, Lambton Kent District School Board or St. Clair Catholic District School Board’s Rules and Regulations.
- Smoking, alcoholic beverages, games of chance, illegal activities, activities involving the discharge of weapons, use of fireworks, dry ice, fog/smoke machines or pyrotechnical devices are strictly prohibited on Board property.
- Schools are not available to private groups for personal activities, such as dances, receptions, birthday parties, Christmas parties, funerals, memorial services, weddings, baby showers or other privately sponsored activities.
- Schools may not be rented for any activities that may cause damage to board facilities such as, but not limited to: the use of gyms for lacrosse, cricket, roller skating, roller derby, baseball, football, tennis, golf, dodge ball, floor/ball hockey.
- Specialized rooms, such as; weight rooms, computer labs, food rooms, science labs and tech rooms, are not available for rent.
- Schools may not be used for sleeping accommodation except in unusual circumstances and contingent upon the necessary approvals. (i.e. CLASS Operations Committee and Chief Fire Official.)
- Permit Holders must have an appropriate plan to deal with medical emergencies/medical conditions while on Board property.
- Event Supervisors must inform all participants/spectators of emergency evacuation procedures and exit locations.
- Event Supervisors are responsible for the enforcement of all Fire Safety Regulations and must ensure that obstructions are not placed in corridors or in front of fire exits. At no time, shall fire protection equipment be disabled or impeded.
- If an accident or injury occurs the Event Supervisor should take appropriate emergency response (first aid, call 911 etc.) and then report the incident to the custodian.The Permit Holder must report the incident to the Rental Office the next school day.
- If a Critical Injury occurs the Event Supervisor should obtain medical treatment, evacuate the area if it’s considered unsafe, advise the custodian of the incident and call the Ministry of Labour to report the incident – Tel: 1-877-202-0008. Critical Injuries must be reported to the Rental Office the next school day. If there is any doubt if it is a Critical Injury or if the person is taken to the hospital by ambulance then please treat the injury as a Critical Injury. User groups shall not hold CLASS, the school boards, their staff or agents responsible for any instances of bodily injury, sickness, disease or death sustained while on school property.
Rental groups are expected to have a concussion protocol in place containing information on concussion prevention, identifying symptoms and signs of a concussion, initial response procedures for a suspected concussion, and management procedures for a diagnosed concussion, including a return to physical activity plan. For your reference the following links provide access to the Boards Concussion Administrative Procedures. LKDSB SCCDSB