How long before my event should I apply?

You should apply at least ten business days before your event, however if you are applying for an auditorium we suggest you apply 4-6 weeks prior to your event.

How long will it take for my application to be approved?

Depending on when you submit your request it could take 2-3 weeks to process. The application process for the next school year opens September 1st so September and October are very busy and applications may take a bit longer to process than at other times of the school year. Payment and insurance must be received before an application is approved so adding a credit card to your account and providing proof of insurance when you submit your application will speed along the permit approval process. Once your application has been approved you will receive an e-mail copy. There may be some dates missing from your original request so be sure to check the dates in the listing.

How can I find out what's available?

After your account has been created and approved you can log into your account and utilize the ‘Calendar’ to view available facilities/spaces. Also, during the application process you can utilize the search availability tool which is available during step 2 of the application process. If you require assistance you can call the Rental Office.

How can I find out if the space I want to rent is suitable for the program I'm running?

Once you’ve logged into your account you can utilize the ‘Catalogue’ page to access pictures, descriptions such as square footage and seating capacity etc. It’s also possible to arrange a site visit by calling the Rental Office.

What if the room I want to rent isn't listed?

A variety of facilities are available for rent including gymnasiums, high school classrooms, cafeterias, auditoriums, libraries and outdoor sports fields. Specialized rooms, such as; weight rooms, computer labs, food rooms, science labs and tech rooms, are not available for rent. If you want to rent a room which is not listed, please contact the Rental Office.

Can we use school equipment and/or can we store our equipment at the school?

The use of school equipment and/or storage of items at a school is at the discretion of the school Principal and must be arranged before your rental begins. Damages arising out of the use of school equipment must be reported to the custodian and then to the Rental Office the next school day. Financial responsibility for damages to Board property are borne by the permit holder. Rental groups shall not hold CLASS, the Boards, their staff or agents responsible for damage to, destruction of, or loss of property belonging to the rental group.

How do we get into the school for our rental?

The door will be unlocked at the start time shown on the permit and locked after the Event Supervisor has entered the school. The Event Supervisor listed on the permit must be the first person of the group to enter the school and last to leave. School doors may NOT be propped open and latches may NOT be tampered with or obstructed.

Can we get in early to set-up for our event?

Your rental begins at the start time indicated on your permit so if you want to come into the school earlier to set-up or if you need time after your event to clean-up then you need to include those times in your application.

Does the custodian need to be in the school?

Yes, custodial staff are familiar with emergency and security procedures and must be on site for the duration of all rental permits. He/she is on duty for the care and protection of board property, not as a supervisor or participant of a rental activity.

When will my credit card be charged?

A Permit Application Fee is charged when an application is approved. If you asked to purchase insurance, then the cost of the insurance and the Insurance Processing fee will also be charged when the application is approved, as will the AV tech booking fee, if you requested tech support for an auditorium rental. In some cases. If there are continuous dates in your application then rental & custodial costs will be charged the last day of the month for dates used within that month, if your rental is for an event and not a long-term consistent rental then rental & custodial costs are charged the first day of the month in which the event occurs. Other administrative charges, such as Permit Alteration Fees, Cancellations Fees etc. are charged to your card on the last day of the month in which they were incurred. You can log into your account at anytime to view your billing history or access an invoice or a payment receipt.

e-Transfer payments

We are happy to announce that CLASS now accepts Interac e-Transfer payment for Community Use of Schools rentals! The process is simple, convenient, and secure. All you need is an email address, or a valid Canadian mobile number – and an eligible bank account with a participating Canadian financial institution.

How to complete an Interac e-Transfer payment:

  • Log into your bank account
  • Locate Interac e-Transfer, usually in the Transfer/Payments menu
  • Set-up CLASS as a new contact –
  • Enter the payment amount
  • Select the account you want to pay from
  • Include your full name and the permit # in the message field
  • There is no need for a security question, Community Use is set-up to receive your payment securely with autodeposit
  • Follow the prompts to complete the transaction

CLASS Rental Office will receive email notification when your payment has been received and the payment will be recorded to your account.

How can I get an invoice?

You can access an invoice via your school rental account by clicking on the relevant permit number and then clicking PRINT INVOICE.

How do I get a receipt for a payment I made?

You can access a receipt via your school rental account by selecting the OPTIONS icon, then the HISTORY tab and clicking on the box to the right of the dollar amount.

What if I have a question about my permit or want to make changes to it?

There’s a ‘discussion’ tab at the top of your permit. Click on the tab and enter your comments. The Rentals Department will respond via the permit. Additions to approved permits incur a $35 permit alteration fee. If you do not provide at least 3 business days’ notice to advise you will not be using a time slot in your permit you will be charged No-Show Fees.

What happens if buses aren’t running, are schools still open for community use rentals?

If buses are cancelled but schools are open, then community use permits are still scheduled to take place. If schools are open during the day but the weather becomes questionable, rental groups are asked to notify the Rental Office no later than 3pm if they are cancelling their evening booking. If groups do not notify the Rental Office by 3pm on the day of their booking and do not show-up for their evening rental, then No-Show charges apply.

How can I appeal a decision regarding my rental application?

If a rental group wishes to formally dispute any terms or conditions applying to the rental of school facilities, they may submit an Appeal. Appeals must be presented in writing and should describe in detail the nature of the concern. The Rental Office shall consult with the CLASS Appeal Committee. All decisions made by the CLASS Appeal Committee are final. Should you wish to file an Appeal please use this online Appeal form.