In total, the school Boards currently operate approximately 100 facilities with a combined floor space in excess of 475,000 m2 across the district. With such a large, diverse building inventory, every year there are many scheduled maintenance and capital projects within the system.
CLASS regularly supports the Boards by providing the energy perspective in these planned capital project, repairs & maintenance projects. Bringing this specialized lens to these already planned projects within the system ensures that incremental efficiencies are captured, reduces the chance of missed opportunities and ensures that the Boards are obtaining available rebates and incentives.
Another key element of the support services that CLASS provides the Boards centres around energy conservation specific initiatives. By leveraging system consumption and building inventory information, we are able to help build business cases for energy conservation specific initiatives for the Boards to consider. This process is guided under the direction of a steering committee comprised of Facility Management from both Board as well as CLASS.
Some examples of initiatives we have completed / are working on below:
- Lighting Audit of School Facilities
- Lighting Retrofit Conversion to LED
- Motion sensor lighting
- Water Bottle Filling Stations
- Real Time Energy Monitoring Technologies
- Ontario Green Button Energy Monitoring Initiative (Pilot School Boards in Ontario)
- Voltage Harmonizers
- Building Automation Systems
- Energy Invoice Auditing
- Energy & Environmental Policy
- Procedure for standardized temperature settings
- Variable Speed Motors
- Procedure for night time outside lighting use
- Audits of school facilities for energy consumption